Clear all

PSPi 1000.4

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@diko_d)
Topic starter  

Hey,

Glad to hear you're back full steam ahead.

Was wondering if there is any status update on version 4? Seems like the integrated LCD circuitry and improved battery charging capabilities are going to be a major improvement!!

Keep up the great work!

(@othermod)
Reputable Member Admin

Keeping it somewhat on the back burner until I'm caught up on v3 backorders.

Integrating the LCD controller will definitely be a huge improvement. Better image, lower power consumption, less parts for you guys to install, and leaves more space in the shell for other additions.

I've already got an LCD working with it and it looks great. If possible, I'd like to use the PSP's original LCD, but the timings are a little difficult to get working with the Pi Zero. It works, but it has a flicker I can't get rid of yet. There are a couple potential causes of the issue, and I'm not yet sure which it is. It's possibly due to the fact that the LCD operates at a clock of 7.83MHz to 9.26MHz and the RPi can only output 9.6MHz (and a couple other frequencies that are even further off). I've got a couple more things to try, but a standalone LCD panel is only $10-20 so it won't be the end of the world if it won't work. Anyone familiar with DPI Parallel RGB on the RPi is welcome to help.

http://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/Color/LQ043T1DG03.pdf

ReplyQuote
(@diko_d)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the update!

I agree with you that trying to leverage the use of the existing screen would be nice, but since the cost of a new screen is so low I am not sure it is worth the time invested at this point vs all the other benefits from your v4 design. 

Looking forward to seeing it 👍

ReplyQuote
(@chrisb)
Member Customer

Some ideas for V4. 

Enough room to have a small heat sink on the zero cpu

A way to turn off the screen to save power, either electrically like the audio or via software.

Use the extra buttons on the PSP (home etc)

ReplyQuote
(@othermod)
Reputable Member Admin

Enough room to have a small heat sink on the zero cpu

Still tweaking the position of everything, but this should be doable.

A way to turn off the screen to save power, either electrically like the audio or via software.

Definitely will be possible. The hardware is set up so that the LCD can dim from 0% to 100%. I'll probably make the default setup match the original PSP (25/50/75/100%), but the code can be adjusted.

Use the extra buttons on the PSP (home etc)

I've got enough available connections to get all the buttons working except for one. 

Thanks for the input.

ReplyQuote