Forum

[Sticky] Composite LCD Controller Board Support  

RSS

othermod
Estimable Member
February 7, 2017 2:15 pm  

If you have a composite LCD and you need help getting the board working at 5v, then this is where you will get it.

ReplyQuote
day177
February 10, 2017 11:07 am  

Raspberry support 24bit parallel lcd interface by GPIO. Why not use it?

ReplyQuote
othermod
Estimable Member
February 10, 2017 1:36 pm  
Posted by: day177

Raspberry support 24bit parallel lcd interface by GPIO. Why not use it?

I am working on it for my own build. It brings other complications, so I haven't decided whether I'll produce a board using it.

ReplyQuote
day177
February 13, 2017 10:44 am  
You can give the wiring diagram? What are the complications it causes?
Edited: 3 months  ago

ReplyQuote
othermod
Estimable Member
February 13, 2017 12:31 pm  
Posted by: day177

You can give the wiring diagram? What are the complications it causes?

You lose most of the GPIO, so buttons and possibly audio have to get wired to an external device. If this device is USB, then you lose the USB port. This then means you have to add a USB hub if you want a USB port. Every extra device brings more software configuration and more difficulty. 

This is a side project, and I don't have any diagrams yet.

ReplyQuote
gab0natchi
March 7, 2017 4:33 pm  

Need help. I messed up my LCD driver board. I removed the XL1509 chip then I asked othermod and he showed me how to wire it but it turns on and off with 1 second interval on 5V. 

ReplyQuote
othermod
Estimable Member
March 7, 2017 4:42 pm  

Do you have a voltmeter to check voltages when it's turning on and off? I'm curious what you're getting between the pad shaded black the top one that's shaded red.

Edited: 2 months  ago

ReplyQuote
gab0natchi
March 8, 2017 7:28 pm  

Yes. I checked the voltage and it drops to 3v. I replaced the power supply with a portable battery pack and it worked. Thanks for your help!

ReplyQuote
Justencase6
March 14, 2017 3:02 am  

I'm trying to get this controller board to run at 5v and it is giving me 3.3v at the point that I bleave need to be,before I put 5v to it and fry it can you let me know if you have seen this one before.

ReplyQuote
othermod
Estimable Member
March 14, 2017 12:03 pm  
Posted by: Justencase6

I'm trying to get this controller board to run at 5v and it is giving me 3.3v at the point that I bleave need to be,before I put 5v to it and fry it can you let me know if you have seen this one before.

What voltages do you get at the red pads when you attach 5v and 12v to the 12v power input on the board?

ReplyQuote
Justencase6
March 14, 2017 4:22 pm  

At 12v input the top 2 pads get 3v and the leg gets 12v. At 5v input the top 2 pads get 3v and the leg gets 5v.

ReplyQuote
othermod
Estimable Member
March 14, 2017 4:30 pm  

That's promising. There is a good chance that this will work without any modification. I believe the IC is a variant of the MP2307, so as long as it's getting voltage above 4.75v at the pin and 3.3v at the inductor you checked it should work.

https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/MP2307_r1.9.pdf

ReplyQuote
Justencase6
March 14, 2017 5:07 pm  

Here is the eBay link of the lcd with that board if your interested http://www.ebay.com/itm/321731770337.   I will try it at 5v at the 12v input to see if it works and will let you know.

ReplyQuote
Justencase6
March 14, 2017 6:33 pm  

this works great at 5v, just put 5v strait into the 12v input, it also has contrast ,brightness,and resolution adjustments,plus has a second input of needed,it works really good for our project and for the pi zero.if the control board is consistent it would be a very good supply.   http://www.ebay.com/itm/321731770337

ReplyQuote
othermod
Estimable Member
March 14, 2017 8:56 pm  

Excellent. How's the image quality? I'm also curious how much amperage it draws. I've ordered one and can get that information once it arrives if you don't have an ammeter to check it.

ReplyQuote
Justencase6
March 16, 2017 6:05 pm  

The ampmeter that I have is only for ac, once you get it in let me know if it has the same controller board,the lcd is half the thickness as the oem one from the psp,i had to put some spacers not the lcd bracket and had to cut the bracket up a bit to try and get the controller board to fit,it has a awkword mounting position.

ReplyQuote
st0n3y19
March 19, 2017 2:57 pm  

I have the same controller board that dlarts has posted here:

https://othermod.com/community/hardware/composite-lcd-controller-boards/#post-232

Is there a buck converter breakout board that anyone knows of that can be used with this controller (5v to 3.3v)?  I was going to order the one that othermod sells, but he specifically states it is not meant for modifying LCDs.

ReplyQuote
othermod
Estimable Member
March 19, 2017 3:00 pm  

Can you edit and re-add the links? I'm adding spam filtering software and it's apparently turned up too high.

ReplyQuote
st0n3y19
March 19, 2017 3:02 pm  

I noticed it removed my link right after I posted, and there was no edit option on the post.  The edit option is there now, so let me fix it right quick.

Edit:  Initial post fixed.

ReplyQuote
othermod
Estimable Member
March 19, 2017 4:40 pm  
Posted by: st0n3y19

I have the same controller board that dlarts has posted here:

https://othermod.com/community/hardware/composite-lcd-controller-boards/#post-232

Is there a buck converter breakout board that anyone knows of that can be used with this controller (5v to 3.3v)?  I was going to order the one that othermod sells, but he specifically states it is not meant for modifying LCDs.

There aren't any that I've found that are small enough to fit into the case. It has to be a very smooth 3.3v or the LCD has a flicker.  I've got a newly designed board on the way that does the job really well.

Have you removed any components from your controller board yet?

ReplyQuote
st0n3y19
March 19, 2017 4:56 pm  

Not yet.  After I noticed my controller didn't have the 1509, I came here to see if anyone else had the same board and seen that dlarts had the exact same one.

ReplyQuote
othermod
Estimable Member
March 19, 2017 5:01 pm  

Ok hang tight. I'm going to research a couple things and see whether there are is any way to make your's work without a buck converter. 

ReplyQuote
st0n3y19
March 19, 2017 5:14 pm  

I am in no hurry.  This is the display I got to use with the v3 kit that will be here tomorrow.  The modified LCD I got from you is for my 2.1 build that I still haven't started on yet.  lol

Here is a hi-res pic I took of the board if it helps.

Link to original img.   https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzlmrO_nAlG5X0hnN3lFNzNqVjg

ReplyQuote
othermod
Estimable Member
March 19, 2017 7:01 pm  

If you get rid of the diode labeled M7 and connect a jumper in it's place the LCD should work. If it doesn't, then the inductor labeled 101 next to diode M7 could be undersized and causing a large voltage drop.

ReplyQuote
speck
March 20, 2017 9:31 pm  

Where do you people learn all this stuff? I wish I knew, its all gibberish in my head 🙁

ReplyQuote
trickluvdakid
April 1, 2017 2:53 pm  

Following on your guide for V3, can I just splice the power and ground into the power and ground on the controls?

ReplyQuote
othermod
Estimable Member
April 1, 2017 3:22 pm  

You will definitely fry the board if you do that.

ReplyQuote
trickluvdakid
April 1, 2017 3:32 pm  

So, use the pads to solder (on the bottom side of the board) as shown in this picture?

Also, is 24awg overkill for the LCD and Batteries?

Thanks for the help!

ReplyQuote
st0n3y19
April 1, 2017 5:18 pm  

Yes, those are the pads you want to solder to.  As for wiring for power and LCD, I am using 25AWG stranded wire.

ReplyQuote
trickluvdakid
April 1, 2017 5:39 pm  

Thanks for the response.

I ended up wiring it to the converter.

So far so good 

ReplyQuote
othermod
Estimable Member
April 1, 2017 6:08 pm  

You did exactly right by wiring to the converter. The first few that went out (including your's) were built slightly differently. I've moved to a new design now that's a little easier to work with. 

ReplyQuote
trickluvdakid
April 1, 2017 6:31 pm  

Still need to configure the controls.  Right now only the d-pad/directionals work.  But I'll get it done!

Thanks again all for your help.  The next build will be much easier after this one.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register