Forum

2017 PSP Project  

RSS

rutledge.allen.l
10/01/2017 7:02 pm  

I can't wait for this. I have the PSP, ordered the 100.2.1  Kit, have the Raspberry pi zero 1.3 kit, and ordered the screen. Anything else required? 

To prep for the soldering work, I have been practicing on a "Learn to Solder" kit from Fry's.  Will make sure to update this as the project progresses. 

ReplyQuote
othermod
Eminent Member
10/01/2017 7:30 pm  

Sounds like you have it all. Was a microSD card and SD to microSD adapter included in the Pi Zero kit? 

ReplyQuote
rutledge.allen.l
10/01/2017 7:43 pm  

Yes, 8 Gig Card and adapter. Will swap it for a 32. What is it using for software? Can I pull retropie ?

ReplyQuote
rutledge.allen.l
11/01/2017 12:41 am  

Still have about a week before the lid and kit come in but wanted to make some progress. Went ahead and did the PSP tear down. Looks like someone else has been in here and forgot some of the screws. A good amount were missing. I used this tutorial as well as this one ( https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PSP+1000+Teardown/1234) and got it apart. Did have a snag on the back panel and chipped out some of the black plastic. Will keep an eye online for a replacement. Everything else came out smooth.

Edited: 1 week  ago

ReplyQuote
rutledge.allen.l
16/01/2017 3:07 am  

Ok a bit impatient in the lcd. No shipping number so checking everyday. Anyways, I got the ports off the power board and started putting together. I used the video tutorial and the Teardown from the website. They do differ a little so hopefully haven't screwed something up. 

Edited: 3 days  ago

ReplyQuote
rutledge.allen.l
16/01/2017 3:08 am  

ReplyQuote
rutledge.allen.l
16/01/2017 3:08 am  

ReplyQuote
rutledge.allen.l
16/01/2017 3:11 am  

Called it a night. Tomorrow going to borrow a friendsmall multimeter to make sure power is up correctly. Then I'll do the SD. I checked the dpad fit and appears the SD reader went slanted so I sandpapered the bottom lip and mow.fits perfectly.I know the soldering is bad but not to bad for someone who has never soldered prior to 2 weeks ago. Hope the screen comes in. I am anxious to continue.

ReplyQuote
trickluvdakid
16/01/2017 11:49 pm  

Waiting on the same LCD on Jan 4. I've ordered everything I need, and the LCD is the only thing that wasn't provided with a tracking number. I'll keep ya posted when mine arrives.

ReplyQuote
othermod
Eminent Member
17/01/2017 12:26 am  

If you ordered the one I linked to, they usually take about 3 weeks.

ReplyQuote
rutledge.allen.l
17/01/2017 2:59 am  

Awesome. I reached out to the company, they said 15 to 35 days. Hopefully closer to 15 ;).  Today I got the right side and left side controls wired up. On the right side, I couldn't quite make out the ones the video had used (fpc 24). I ended up doing o, x, square, triangle, start select, one switch, volume up and down, and right trigger. Is the orange and green the lcd lines coming off the power?

ReplyQuote
othermod
Eminent Member
17/01/2017 9:29 am  

Hope this helps. The blue circled connections go to any available green GPIO pin other than 13 and 18, since they are used for audio.

Edited: 2 days  ago

ReplyQuote
rutledge.allen.l
18/01/2017 2:48 pm  

This will help a ton! I got the AMP wired up as well as the FPCs. My rookie soldering skills did cause a problem on the SD card. The plastic melted a bit so had the 1 & 2 pin touching. (Verified with multimeter) I cleaned it up best I could but had some more melting :(. Having already glued the SD Card in, it would be a chore to replace it. I am set to buy the v3 once it comes in so will just move forward with this and give it a shot. Finger crossed. 

ReplyQuote
othermod
Eminent Member
18/01/2017 3:00 pm  

Yeah the most important thing is to make sure no other pads are touching. That would ruin your day. A blow drier or heat gun might soften the hot glue enough to remove the adapter if you decide to.

Or, you can always just install the microSD card directly into the Pi Zero if you think the adapter is toast. It won't be as easy to remove, but hey, it will work.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register